Friday, June 17, 2011

Dogs and cats love watching television shows as well as human being does?

Photo: Hanna watching her favorite show on TV
Recently I have observed my family's dogs, Mikke and Hanna (in the left photo). Although Mikke is a nice dog, Hanna is an interesting dog because she has a weird habit. It's to watch TV with smacking, punching, and heading onto it like the below video, while Mikke isn't seemingly interested in watching TV.

Even when I showed the video to Hanna, she was trying to punching the cat -- particularly, she loves cats.

By the way, some TV shows are known as affecting our behaviors in the social psychology. For instance, a study shows that viewing television violence can subsequently numb people's reactions when they are faced with real-life aggression (called the numbing effect). In the study, those who had watched the police show were more likely to allow to observe a verbally and physically aggressive interaction between preschoolers than those who had watched the volleyball game. Thus, violence shows influence "human being" to response an aggressive behavior.

On other hand, my concerns are as follows:

  • Do TV shows have an effort on animals' behaviors?   
To begin with, TV shows are really interesting and an influencer for animals like dogs and cats to change their behaviors? For example, my dog really likes seeing a cat and even a wild felid (Once I watched a documentary about a cheetah, Hanna had an interest in it.). If Hanna's behaviors are changed like a cat by TV shows and she duplicates cat's behaviors, I could assume that dogs are influenced by TV shows. But, is it right? I don't know. The best way is that I'd conduct an experiment for that, anyway.

  • Do animals understand TV shows like us?
Are violence programs able to influence animals to change their behaviors more aggressively like human being? Or if I show sexual programs to my dogs...Oops. Anyway, if they understand TV shows like us, violence materials would tend to lead them to take more aggressive actions. But, the cat seems to me to immitate what boxers are doing in the below video (I heard cats are recognizing the world as black and white without colors.), and interpret their aggression. It's really difficult for me to understand waht dogs and cats are doing. I hope to understand correctly. If not, it might be a disaster.


I'll keep observing my dogs because they give me so much fun!

2 comments:

  1. MY DOG, ONYX, DOES NOT REACT TO T.V. VERY MUCH IN FRONT OF US. HOWEVER WHEN THE DOORBELL RINGS HE SOMETIMES BEGINS TO TWIRLL AND JUMP... JUST LIKE "DANCING WITH THE STARS". SO I CAN ONLY CONCLUDE THAT HE WATCHES T.V. WHEN WE ARE NOT HOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha. And, probably, he can manipulate a remote-control device for TV as well.

    ReplyDelete