Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Matching Hypothesis

Photo:
BEN STANSALL / AFP/ GETTY IMAGES

Recently I have been busy to prepare for my future. It is an excuse for readers in order not to have posted a Blog for a while.

Today I will introduce a kind of a hot topic. It is about a royal wedding, Britain's Prince William and Kate Middleton. They will get marriage next year, according to an article of Seattle Times. The article focuses on predicting how the royal wedding will look like. However, I don't care about the thing. I am interested in the photo which I uploaded in the article. Are both of them a beautiful and attractive person, aren't they? I think so. Anyway, what do you think of them? Do they match each other?

Do you know what the matching hypothesis is? According to Walster et al. (1966), people tend to form long-term relationships with others whose level of physical attractiveness maches theirs. This is called as the matching hypothesis. The picture provides evidence that the hypothesis is cogent explanation.

Is the hypothesis fitting in our perception? In my own experience, couples generally have a pretty much equal level of physical attractiveness. However, my parents don't fit in it. My father is a fat, while my mother is a slim. So, I think the matching hypothesis is still "hypothesis" not theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment